I started writing this post in June of 2013, and then abandoned it. Thanks to Michelle and the Gilmore Girls KAL I decided to revive it.

I arrived late to many shows that I ended up enjoying a lot, like Desperate Housewives, the Gilmore Girls, Firefly , Downton Abbey and Broadchurch (ok, not so late for Broadchurch, I started watching it just after season 1 was over). Normally I don’t really pay attention to garments in shows but I’m acquiring more and more an experienced eye on the subject.

This cardigan appears at the end of season 4 and on episode 7 of season 5 if I remember well. I like the detail of the cables and the soft pink color. I’m not very convinced though about the general shape. It doesn’t have buttons, and the fronts hang at the sides in an unflattering way. It looks like it has some mohair or angora. I looked for a similar pattern in Ravelry and I found none. I’d love to design something like that one day but with an improved shape (and I need buttons on my cardigans).

On episode 4 of season 6, Rory is wearing a stunning dress for the baptism of Sookie’s children. It doesn’t seem like a difficult pattern: princess seams and a half circle skirt with gathers at the back. I like the detail of the black piping.

Coming back to the cardigan, I am not very sure of its construction. It seems to have raglan sleeves and the back has asymmetric cables. About the front I can’t say a lot since I think we don’t get a good view of it.

Update: I think this pattern could be modified to make something like it.

Cell phone sleeve for Koen

I started my crafty life just crochetting. I looked at amigurumis on internet and I discovered that I wanted to make something like that. After a while I accomplished this and then I decided that what I wanted to make were garments. Soon I figured out that knitted garments usually have a much nicer drape and fit better the human body. Then I wanted to knit! I bought a book, needles and looked for tutorials in YouTube. Soon I made a cardigan for my niece and I’ve never stopped since then.

In one of our vacations I got a new smartphone and I had no sleeve for it. With some crappy yarn I found at my mother’s place I crocheted a very basic sleeve while Koen was driving around the north of Spain. It was not very beautiful but it came in handy at that moment. When Koen bought his first smartphone he rescued this sleeve from one of our drawers and he started using it, but it had a horrible green color that made me want to make something nicer for him. I asked him and he decided yarn and color. It was going to be black. I asked him if he wanted something knitted with beautiful cables, but he said that he wanted something simple, something similar to the green one. Last year I started to crochet the sleeve, I dropped it for a while and never came back to it. I have to confess that since I started knitting, I never came back to crochet again, just for brief moments, but never finishing anything.

In the meantime he lost the hideous green sleeve and his phone got naked and vulnerable.

This past week at Tenerife, I had lots of time for knitting, and in one of those quiet mornings, I designed this. It is quite simple. I asked Koen and he said it was perfect, that he wanted nothing else. I started to cast on and knitted a couple of rows, and then I had to leave it for some hours. I took it back when we were driving to the Loro Parque so that my niece could see the parrots, the dolphins and the rest of animals. It was such a simple project that I finished it during that car drive. Koen loves it and I’m considering making one for myself (we have the same cell phone model).

We enjoyed the park and the animals, and I got a small project finished in the meantime.

Cell phone sleeve (a pattern)

This pattern is also offered as a downloadable PDF at Ravelry.

This is intended for an HTC Wildfire S (10 x 6 x 1.3 cm). For any other model of cell phone, the pattern will need to be adapted according to the specific measurements.

This idea occurred to me after making the Kindle cozy but I didn’t want the bulk created by the 3 needle bind off but a neat end like the toe of a sock.

Gauge: 20.0 sts x 26 rows.

Material needed:

  • 7 grams of Cascade 220 or any other worsted weight yarn.
  • 4.5 mm (US 7) and 4 (US 6) mm needles (or size needed to get gauge)

Make the sleeve:

  1. CO 12 st using Judy’s magic cast on.[youtube=]
  2. Continue st by st in stockinette stitch.
  3. After 9.5 cm (28 rows) from cast on edge, take smaller size needles (4 mm – US 6) and start 1×1 twisted ribbing (*k1 through the back loop, p1. Repeat from * across). Make 5 rows.
    I usually change to smaller needles one row before starting ribbing.
  4. BO in twisted ribbing using 4.5 (US 7) mm needle.