Loungewear

Not a lot has happened since last time I wrote here. We started to pack CD’s, DVD’s and some of our books, but there’s still time a lot to be done ahead. The only remarkable thing is that I got the results from my yearly medical checkup, and my antibodies level (anti-thyroglobuline) went down from 12 to 3, so it’s now within normal levels. Well, it must be that in the end AIP (Autoimmune Paleo) works and my blood work and health vouches for it. Yay!

Lately I managed to complete two things that were in my to do list. As you know, I dream of vintage frocks, but being realistic, since I mostly work from home and don’t have a very rich social life, what I need are lounge clothes. My lounge pants are all falling apart so this was quite urgent. It was either making a pair or going to the next shop, and well, I hate shopping.

I wanted to try this pattern since it was released, but summery garments caught my eye first and the Carolyn Pajamas got relegated to “maybe later”. Well, that later has finally come.

I used the same cotton flannel than for my Margot PJ’s and comparing them both I prefer this silhouette. It’s funny though that I’m modelling both pajama bottoms with the same t-shirt.

It has pockets, something I missed in my other PJ’s, they are easy and quick to sew and they are quite flattering taking into account that they are just pajamas. I just made the bottoms since it is what I really need to work from home, sleep, watch TV shows and play with the birds.

What I didn’t like from my Margot pajamas was the flair. The leg felt so loose that you could feel the draft coming from beneath. This may not be noticeable by everybody, but I get cold easily. This doesn’t happen with the Carolyn Pajamas. It also features a faux fly which I found useful to apply this to the next mens briefs I’m planning to make.

And AIP did not only help with my antibody levels but I also accidentally lost some weight and stabilized soon at 48 kg. Sadly many of my old handmade clothes don’t fit me anymore, but I like how the new ones fit. I’m still pear shaped but less “pearly”. I wanted to make another pair of Barrie Briefs, but I had to go down from size 3 to 2. I used to have a 98 cm hip, and it is 90 cm now. The rest didn’t change much.

wpid-img_20151114_123817.jpg

I’ve already said that I like this underwear for the cold months which feels cozy and warm, since it has more coverage than the one I use to wear in summer. In case you don’t recognize it, I used some remnants from one of my Lady Skater dresses.

The promised Jedediah shorts

It’s been already three weeks since I posted here, but things have been a bit hectic since we signed the contract for the new apartment. Luckily the actual tenants were kind enough to let us measure the rooms, so we’ll know in advance which furniture to keep and which one to let go. Even though we won’t move until the beginning of January we have already started to box, throw and give things away. Moving is always complicated and you end up moving stuff that you should have let go. I hope this time we can organize it ourselves and make it as painless as possible. To all this work we have to add the time we have to dedicate to show our current apartment to possible future tenants.

In the midst of all this I have found the time to make the shorts I promised to Koen two summers ago, since I made the long pants version and he fell in love with them. In my defense I have to say that several unfortunate events have stopped me from sewing these before, but better late than never. I finished them last month but as life is busy it took me forever to take pictures and blog about it.

I implemented the same mods as in my previous version, and it was to make them less fitted. We don’t go for skinny jeans in our home, and Koen has powerful cyclist thighs that feel constricted in many RTW pants. When I see him wearing his linen Jedediah shorts even in December I feel that I’ve done something right. And BTW, comparing pictures, I see that Koen has gotten much thinner (that’s what happens when you eat Paleo) but I used the same size, that’s why these shorts are looser than the previous pants.

For the shorts Koen wanted extra pockets, like the ones you see in cargo pants. This got me stuck for a while, thinking about the best way to implement them. I used the pockets of some old shorts to have an idea about size and construction. In the end, I think they look quite professional.

I used some Milward brass snaps for the side pockets. I have other snaps at home but I didn’t want them to be visible from outside, and these are quite sturdy

In my previous version I have to admit that the zipper ended up a bit wonky, something that I didn’t let happen here. I guess experience counts, and I’m getting better at crotches (ups!) and zippers.

wpid-img_20151008_172304.jpg

For the pockets and bias binding I used some Japanese cotton that I won sometime ago at Telaria. It’s been in my stash for a couple of years and apart from cushions I didn’t know what to make with it, so this was a very good use.

wpid-img_20151029_101109.jpg

I felt terribly bad about finishing these shorts in Autumn with bad enough weather to wear sweaters. Luckily we got some good days and Koen doesn’t feel cold easily, so he already wore them three or four times.

I’ve used cotton twill, and I’m so pleased with these pants that I’d love to have the time to make the long version with the same fabric again, and maybe slash pockets, but I know that with how busy I am, it won’t be for now. It’s a pity because Koen urgently needs new pants, so urgently that I don’t think he can wait for me to make them. But look at how rad he looks in them!